If you’re looking to add a VPN to your Kodi box, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve reviewed and tested VPNs to find the best VPN for Kodi. For those not familiar with Kodi, it’s one of the most, if not the most popular media players around thanks to its excellent interface. Not only that but it’s a free and open-source that boasts some impressive capabilities when it comes to add-ons that support various streaming services.
Some of those add-ons are perfectly legal, and others – not so much. Naturally, we, at TechRadar do not endorse any form of piracy or illegally viewing copyrighted material. But we do endorse getting the best software for your needs – and that’s where our Kodi VPN chart is your friend.
The VPNs on this list should help you enjoy Kodi safe in the knowledge your ISP or hackers are not spying on your activity. Importantly, we have excluded VPNs which keep logs of user activity or don’t offer suitable privacy and security protection to stop your real IP address from leaking.
We go into more details on the VPNs that have made this list below, but if you want to skip ahead, here’s a summary of our top picks:
- IPVanish Our top choice. Perfect for Kodi users who need a fast and lightweight, remote-control friendly solution. Easiest Kodi set up on this list. Strong security. 7-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN Unmatched for unblocking the most popular streaming content. Great privacy and security.
- Extensive support to get Kodi working on all platforms.
- CyberGhost Budget choice. Unblocks the most popular streaming content. May need manual configuration for some users.
- NordVPN Great value for fast streaming. Private and secure with Kodi. Linux users need to configure manually.
- PrivateVPN Fast, private and secure. A budding provider with a growing list of servers.
- Private Internet Access Solid security and privacy. Android and Linux friendly.
- Many VPNs are available, but we’ve narrowed down a list of six we believe to be the best VPNs for Kodi users.
- We’ll make a note as to what types of devices each VPN is compatible with, including Android and OpenELEC.
- If you’re not sure which to choose, check out our guide on how to set up a Kodi VPN.
What Are the Disadvantages of Free VPNs?
At best, free VPNs are limited. At worst, they can be dangerous. Let’s look at some of the disadvantages of using a free VPN.
- Compatibility Issues
Free VPNs usually only offer apps for laptops and desktop computers. This means you won’t be able to stream on your mobile device, gaming console, or SmartTV.
With so many premium VPNs offering free trials and money-back guarantees, there’s no need to limit yourself. Premium VPNs like NordVPN and ExpressVPN offer apps for most devices. They also allow simultaneous connections, so you can protect all your devices at once.
Building and maintaining a VPN network is expensive. Most free VPNs cut corners to save money. Kill-switches and military-grade encryption aren’t standard features like they are with premium VPNs.
Some free VPN services have been caught installing spyware and malware on users’ devices. This allows them to spy on your activity and sell your personal information to third parties for profit. Most free VPNs limit bandwidth, data, and speeds. They also limit the number of servers you can access for free.
These limitations prevent you from accessing popular services like Netflix. If Netflix blocks the server you’re using, there may not be another server in the area you can use to bypass the block. With limited data and speeds, you may not be able to stream at all.